Blog Archive

Friday, December 26, 2008

BAD DAY HUNTING BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY DOING......... ANYTHING

From November 10, 2007 ON AIR JUDGE WYLD SHOW - Radio Talk

Excerpt from show prep notes. On air content may have been more or less. Not journalistic or debate notes.



A SIMPLE HUNTING STORY FOR THE FUN OF IT


Hunting last Sunday was a good day. The dog was ready except for vomiting in the vehicle several times. The guns were cleaned and oiled the night before. The area of the state was chosen the night before. The jeep was ready with a new battery and two new tires. And two hard boiled eggs and some salami were packed with bottles of water and cokes in a cooler. Dog water containers were along for the ride.


We headed off in the dark for a 2.5 hour drive to the first field. In the first field, which was heavy tall grassland, 1 mile by ½ mile.(half section) I and the dog scared up one rooster pheasant. I took two shots. Missed both shots. We saw a large buck and a doe in that field. Very nice to watch.


As I was walking the dog, a young dog, kept track of me and we worked well together. But I noticed hunters behind us but they weren’t moving. So I figured out that they were the blockers and sure enough a line of 15 hunters were later seen ahead of me and the dog.


So we joined them and combed back the way we came…. The dog was running around with the other dogs and tagging along with different hunters but she was very very tired.


When we came out the other end of the field, she wasn’t’ there. Keeping the story short I drove around and looked for her, I even walked the same field with the 15 hunters and we didn’t see her but the guys did shoot a few more pheasants. So they left and I drove around some more and found the dog out near the road where I had originally parked… smart dog… that was about an hour that she was lost or I was lost or whatever…


she drank a lot and vomited but we took a long break as we drove around scouting out another field. We walked a couple fields next to rivers and only saw deer. Then I seriously looked for a pheasant field… found one, parked, took photos of cows in the milo, and then walked the dog into the long grass field. It was a full section, mile by a mile with a midsized valley in the middle. We scared up five roosters on the far slope of the valley and I shot but missed them all. I’m no good at this.


So I stopped and practiced raising the gun… I noticed that I was aiming too high!! Bad technique. I practiced without shooting… then walked on … the sixth rooster got up and I got him in one shot. A young boy, this bird was and I used him to train the dog to the smell and to find the bird.


Along the other side of the valley on the way back to the jeep we scared up two hens and one rooster. I only shot at the rooster of course and missed. Realized my mistake and the next rooster that jumped up was shot once at and killed. The dog bounded straight toward it but stopped five feet short of finding it.


It was a good day and I took photos in the field and called friends on the 3 hour drive home and stopped by to show the birds.


Go Hunting, a Simple, Pleasant Day... Any day.


Sincerely, JUDGE WYLD

No comments: