Blog Archive

Sunday, December 28, 2008

THE MOST TOUCHING STORY YOU'VE EVER READ - TEARS ALLOWED

From October 20, 2007 ON AIR JUDGE WYLD SHOW - Radio Talk
Excerpt from show prep notes. On air content may have been more or less. Not journalistic or debate notes.

Nursing Home. A touching real story.


Those old folks are so awesome. Some day I’ll tell you much more about a typical visit and how much fun it is… but today I’ll tell you about the sing along.


Steve and his wife show up each Friday evening to lead the sing along. There are simple songs printed large type in booklets. Phil plays the piano during dinnertime and then plays for the sing-a-long.


The residents are sitting in their wheel chairs and on the couches around the piano. The piano plays,

Steve sings,

the residents sing, and

Friday night I stayed and sang.


K k k katy, beautiful katy, you’re the g g g girl that I adore… when the m m m moon shines, over the mountains, I’ll be waiting by the k k k kitchen door. …. it's really "over the cow shed" but say that and slurr it... it sounds like cow sh*t.... so I say mountains.


Basically after I’ve finished visiting the stragglers in the dining room, I’ll set a chair next to a resident in the singing area and start singing along… and they start singing louder either because they are energized by me or they are trying to drown me out at the risk of their own health.


It feels GREAT… and last Friday night after the singing was over, Wayne, made a point to say to me… "it was a really nice time singing with you. Thank you." ,[insert my and your tears here......]


No matter how tired I am at the end of my workday, I feel very powerful, energetic, clear headed, and fulfilled when I have been visiting at the nursing home. Life is Good.


Most Sincerely, JUDGE WYLD


No comments: